The annual memorial sports day remembers the sacrifice of Sergeant Dick Whittaker, Senior Constable Gordy Wilson and Senior Constable Chris Thornton who made the ultimate sacrifice on duty in the Brisbane Water Police District.
Chris Thornton was also a volunteer surf lifesaver with Soldiers Beach SLSC, performing IRB duties diligently.
This event is to raise money for Police Legacy as they support the families of these officers.
When: Thursday 13th September 2018
Where: Ettalong foreshore, The Esplanade/Corner Kourong St, Ettalong.
Time: 9:30am start (to take advantage of the run in tide) Marshall at 9am for a briefing!
Any paddle craft welcome, Surf Ski*, Kayak*, SUP, Prone, Outriggers, Surf Boats.
**PFD required per Maritime rules.
Thursday 13 September is the annual memorial sports day for Brisbane Water and Tuggerah Lakes Police Districts and is the date of our 2018 Brisbane Water Paddle to raise money for our police family. The Brisbane Water Paddle starts at Ettalong and ends at Gosford Sailing Club (about 12 – 15km depending on how straight you paddle!). Its the 6th year we have done it and every year has been great fun.
• Gather at the boat ramp on the Esplanade near the intersection of Kourong Parade for the start line
• A water police vessel and surf life saving rescue craft will be deployed to provide assistance to participants
• The paddle finishes at the Gosford Sailing Club. Paddlers will need to make arrangements for someone to drive their cars to the finish or there will be a trailer at the finish to take you back to the start and your car. Event Conditions:
• Participants MUST wear an approved flotation vest as per RMS requirements
• Participants should wear a hat and suitable sun/wind protective clothing and apply sunscreen
• Be sure to keep yourself hydrated. Some bottled water will be available from the police vessel that will travel the course
• It will be a run in tide in the morning, so make use of the conditions
• Depending on your ability it will take between 60-90 minutes to complete the course
• There is no entry fee to participate or requirement to pre-register, simply turn up on the day! Participants are encouraged to make a donation to NSW Police Legacy
• There will be a BBQ at the finish line
The paddle starts from the boat launching ramp on The Esplanade, Ettalong and travels up stream along the Brisbane Water, through Booker Bay, Daleys Point, Woy Woy, Saratoga and finishing at Gosford.
Dive in to make a difference for NSW Police Legacy at Brisbane Water Paddle. Whether you’re in it for a fun day out, or to achieve a personal best, join us in the water and make every stroke count!
Fundraising Link here
For more information contact Matt