It is aimed at developing our future surf lifesavers in the areas of surf education, beach management and related career paths within the surf life saving movement.
The Rookie Lifesaver Programme has been developed to incorporate junior members into the patrolling environment. It is not an extension of the Junior Activities programme.
Aims of the Rookie Lifesaver Program
- Develop the surf lifesaving skills of young members
- Provide a transition between nipper and senior lifesaving
- Provide a structured career path in surf lifesaving
- Provide a smooth transition and ready flow of active members from Junior ranks by providing a programme of practical lifesaving development.
- Involve and encourage respective Parents to become involved in both active service and administration at club level.
- Develop strong ties between Senior and Junior Members as a result of involvement in this programme.
- Club patrols will become more efficient as patrol members become involved with the development of juniors whilst on patrol
Surf Life Saving Central Coast leadership development strategy follows key stages in a lifesavers development.
- Rookie Lifesaver Program 12-14 year olds
- Youth Development Camp 14-17 year olds
- Future Leaders Program 18-30 year olds
- Duke of Edinburgh Program
Surf Life Saving Central Coast has created a framework for the ongoing support and development of motivated volunteers within the Central Coast. Specifically, this equates to the initiation of development programs designed to ease the transition of participants into club leadership roles.
We now need to nurture the program to ensure it evolves and continues to develop. Obviously, a part of the programs’ measurable outcomes will be the leadership roles course participants move into. It must not just remain at its current operational level as has happened with similar programmes in the past. It needs to take the next step and become firmly recognised by our membership as being an integral part of the ‘surf life saving psyche‘.
For further information on our Rookie program please email Jodie at email@example.com